History of The Brentwood Rotary Club
The leading businessmen of the community of Brentwood incorporated the Rotary Club of Brentwood in June 1960 for the purposes of service above self, development of friendship and to extend the objects of Rotary International.
The object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- First: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service.
- Second: High ethical standards in business and professions, the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations, and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society.
- Third: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life.
- Fourth: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
The Rotary Club of Brentwood was chartered by Rotary International on June 18, 1960 and has been in continuous service since that date. A banker, Mr. Leland E. Lowe was elected the first president; having transferred from our founding club, the Bay Shore Rotary Club. At the time of the chartering there were twenty-two members and as per Rotary’s classification rules they represented many varied occupations and professions within the Brentwood community.
By the end of the first year of operation three members had resigned and four new members were elected thereby having a net gain of one. During the first year the club met on Mondays at 12:15 p.m. at the Brentwood Country Club. The charter members were so happy to have a Rotary Club in Brentwood that they did not allow a hurricane to interfere with their regular meeting on September 12, 1960. During the first year of service, the Brentwood Rotary Club enjoyed a wide variety of interesting programs and speakers at their meetings.
During the past fifty years the club has supported and participated in the following Rotary programs:
- International Service Rotary Foundation
- Polio-Plus Group Study
- Exchange Student Exchange Program
- Gift of Life Program
- World Community Service
- Local Community Service
- Past Sponsorship of Boy Scout Troop 101 and Cub Pack 101
- Participate in RYLA conferences
- Sponsor Interact Club of Brentwood High School
- Sponsor a Student Leadership Conference at Brentwood High School
- Present scholarships to graduating seniors from Brentwood High School
- Sponsor of Career Day at Brentwood High School
- Participate in Habitat for Humanity
- Host a holiday party for children for Special Services Students of the Brentwood School District
- Host a luncheon for the Literacy Volunteers at the Brentwood Library
- Honor distinguished community leaders
- In 2009-2010, this club hosted a foreign exchange student from Slovakia as well as sponsored an exchange student sent to France
The Brentwood Club currently consists of fourteen members, plus one Honorary member. We meet on the First, Third, and Fifth (when applicable) Tuesdays on a monthly basis at 6:15pm at the Casa Vieja Restaurant in Brentwood. The Second Tuesday is reserved for a Board of Directors meeting. The club continues to survey the various occupations and professions within the Brentwood community in order to invite new members to continue this worthy service. If interested in joining, please complete an application.